Happy Friday Elio’ers! Two weeks until Halloween, are you ready with your costume? Us either. This week we had a chance to sit down with our Government Affairs Team and wanted to share some of the progress that they have made and are making for you and your Elio.
This is the current US map for helmets and the Elio. As you can see, there are 35 states that will have no helmet restrictions and you can drive your Elio freely today. The states that we want to discuss today are the states that currently have a helmet restriction in place for vehicles like the Elio. These last five states are currently the number one priority for the team. This process is going very well is ahead of schedule.
Let’s look at it on a state by state basis:
- Nebraska: We have a sponsor in Senator Jim Smith. We are ready to go for the current legislation session.
- Missouri: We are queued up and ready to go for the current legislation session in Missouri also. We are working with Senator Jay Wasson as our sponsor here.
- Mississippi: Representative Steve Massengill is our sponsor and we expect this to be heard during the current session
- West Virginia: Again we are on the current legislative session and have Senator Bob Beach as our sponsor.
- North Carolina: Sponsor Representative John Torbett. We will be in North Carolina later this month to meet with Senator Warren Daniel staff.
Having a dedicated team working with strong sponsors and a compelling argument have made this process go amazingly well. We expect each of these to get to the floor this session and for these states to move away from the current laws for the Elio. The message is still clear and concise: three airbags, full reinforced steel roll cage, anti-lock brakes, traction and stability control in an enclosed cabin. The Elio safety management system is similar to many vehicles on the road today and we are helping these few states understand that the Elio is in a different category, but very safe. If you live in one of these states, you may want to consider a letter or email to your senator or representative to positively support the legislation.
The Governmental Affairs team is working on many other opportunities which we will discuss in the future through this blog or a Tech Talk. We are making headway on states with under 21 helmet requirements, military installation use and a host of other Elio specific projects. Stay tuned and we will share our progress and success in these important areas.
This week in the Preview Tour:
October 18-19 – Rome, GA – Wings over North Georgia Airshow – Saturday 10 am to 9 pm and Sunday 10 am to 4 pm – This is a P4 show
October 24-26 – Birmingham, AL – We will have P4 at a local mall, details will be announced on the website late Monday.
Thank you so much for your continued support!